Thursday, November 17, 2011

It takes a village - I admit it!

Years ago, before I paid attention to politics, then First Lady Hillary Clinton wrote a book, It Takes A  Village.  I remember the controversy surrounding this book & what it implied, but I didn't really care at the time.

Now that I am a mom, I have much more appreciation and knowledge as to what is actually involved in raising a child.   I realize, it does take "a village".   I wonder, why as moms, so many of us don't acknowledge or thank our supportive "villages"?  We all see the interviews of the Hollywood mom who got back into shape just three months after the birth of her baby.  She just smiles as she is asked, "How did you do it?" and replies about working out three hours a day with a really tough trainer.  I am thinking, with a newborn ... I was happy getting three solid hours of SLEEP!!  Why do so few admit they have 24 hr nannies, cooks, housekeepers etc ... so they can do these things?  (Did you know there is a thing called a night nurse who is a night time nanny that brings your baby to you to breast feed & then takes the little angel away after they are done so you can go back to sleep???)
Vivienne & Coco playing with friends

In this season of Thanksgiving, I am saying THANK YOU to my support.  My village.  I don't do it all with out a lot of help, and even with help fall short in so many areas.  I have parents who babysit, drive, and cook for me & my family A LOT.  Many a phone calls have been made by me saying, "Can you please be here in 15 minutes to take the girls to school today? ... " I have grandmothers who offer to come by and babysit just so I can "get things done".  I have an amazing babysitter who gives me peace while I am away.  I have a husband who is extremely involved in the care of our children.  There are countless ways that I have been blessed with an amazing support system.

So, today .... I say THANK YOU and admit .... I can't do it all!

Some of my village!

1 comment: